Maja Zećo [maya zecho], originally from Sarajevo and now based in Aberdeen, is an interdisciplinary artist whose practice spans performance art, sound, video and installation. As she works in different geographic and institutional contexts, her works are often site-specific and relational, negotiating personal and group narratives of identity and history. She has exhibited internationally. In 2019 Maja obtained a PhD in fine art, on sound and performance art practice, based at Gray’s School of Art (RGU) with the support of the Sonic Arts Programme at the University of Aberdeen.
PEER REVIEWED ARTICLES:
ZECO, M., 2021. Listening and Recording In Situ: Entanglement in the Socio-political Context of Place. Organised Sound. Cambridge University Press, 26(2).
ZECO, M., 2022. Contextualities of Listening to Soundscapes: The Past and The Present Converging in Sarajevo. Journal of Sonic Studies. Leiden University Press.
SELECTED PERFORMANCES & EXHIBITIONS:
- Nothing’s Guaranteed: Exhibition of Bosno-Futurism, group exhibition, Summerhall, Edinburgh, 2022
- In Search of the Sun, performance, Reihe Neu-Oerlikon, Zurich
- In Search of the Sun (artist moving image) screening at Aberdeen Art Gallery, 2022
- In Search of the Sun (artist moving image) screening at 196th Annual Exhibition of the Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh, 2022
- LUX – ONE WORK | Online discussion with Maja Zeco, 2022
- Silencer, performance, Leicester City Take Over by UKNA, 2022
- In Search of the Sun (performance supported by Aberdeen Art Gallery), Duthie park, Aberdeen
- In Search of the Sun (artist moving image), screened at Rediscoveries, the concert series of the University of Aberdeen Music Programme
- Streaming to the Sea Soundwalk– Exploring the acoustic environment supported by Look Again, Aberdeen 2020
- Digital residency with artist Luca Nasciuti Streaming to the Sea, supported by Look Again, Aberdeen 2020
- PhD exhibition Placing Sound at Gray’s School of Art, Aberdeen, 2019.
- Group exhibition Staff Outing at Look Again project space, Aberdeen, 2019.
- Conference presentation Geographical and Disciplinary Peripheries: Sound art, Soundscape and Performance Art Practice, Gray’s School of Art, Aberdeen, 2019.
- Huntly Edge Lands, a soundwalk accompanied by a score, as part of Sound, Image and Place symposium, Deveron Projects, Huntly, 2019.
- 2019- Text- Response to SUPERLUX Screening and Discussion High Entropy by Alexander Storey Gordon (online)
- 2018- Performance- Silencer– CRISAP (Creative Research into Sound Arts Practice), London
- 2017- Performance- One Thousand Pomegranate Seeds, Horsecross, Perth (the piece in the collection)
- 2016- Performance- Grains of Sound, The Barn, Banchory (the piece in the collection)
SELECTED CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS & TALKS
- One Work, One Artist: In Search of the Sun (moving image work), LUX, Scotland, 2022
- Demodernising a museum collection through contemporary art practice: Meditation by Barbara Hepworth, Aberdeen Art Gallery, 2021
- Demodernising a museum collection through contemporary art practice: Eastre by JD Fergusson, Aberdeen Art Gallery, 2021
- Presentation of field work from Sarajevo at Oral Testimonies Symposium organised by, Emerge, Bournemouth University and CRISAP, UAL, 2020
- Geographical and Disciplinary Peripheries: Sound art, Soundscape and Performance Art Practice, Gray’s School of Art, Aberdeen, 2019
- The Role of Personal Identities in Experiencing Soundscapes, as part of Sound, Image and Place, symposium, Deveron Projects, Huntly, 2019
- Sarajevo-Encountering the past by listening today at Sound of Memory Symposium, Goldsmiths, London, 2017
- Placing Sonic Dialogues (lecture-performance), Sound Thought Conference, CCA, Glasgow, 2016